It’s time for another delicious fall cake and this one is packed with all the classic autumn flavors that we love so much like apple, spice and pecans. If you enjoy baking for your family and friends, like I do, then you will definitely need to add this recipe to your collection!
I am absolutely in love with this recipe. It’s moist and delicious and perfect for serving with coffee or tea. Serve it to guests for breakfast or sneak a slice for yourself as a late night snack. I added the apple and orange chips to adorn the cake because I wanted to create a more rustic look but you can skip them if you wish.
This is a really special cake to keep in your back pocket for those special occasions – it will definitely become a favorite!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE APPLE SPICE CAKE
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 3 cups peeled and chopped apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup pecans and walnuts
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE APPLE SPICE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Evenly spread pecans on a small baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until toasted and fragrant, 6-10 minutes. Remove from oven, chop and set aside to cool.
- Peel apples, remove the core and chop into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces. Pour the lemon juice over the apples to prevent browning and to brighten the flavor.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the oil, sugar and eggs. Beat until well combined, 2-4 minutes.
- Add vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
- Add the flours, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are just incorporated and only a few dry streaks remain.
- Fold the prepared apples and cooled pecans into the batter. Set aside 2 tablespoons of nuts to garnish the top if desired.
- Spray a ten-inch tube pan (angel food cake pan) with nonstick baking spray. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread to an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cake springs back and an inserted skewer comes out clean with only a few crumbs attached, 75-90 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool in pan for 1 hour. Turn out onto cake plate and make frosting.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons calvados or apple brandy (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE FROSTING
- Combine sugar, butter and milk.
- Stir to dissolve sugar and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Boil for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla and brandy (if using). Whisk until smooth and adjust with more milk or sugar to achieve a thin frosting consistency.
- Immediately drizzle frosting over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with reserved pecans and walnuts and decorate with apple chips if you wish and enjoy!
To see more from Janet Collazo visit her blog Rosemary & Thyme.
Want more simply beautiful baking ideas? Check out this post on our Apple Dessert Roundup!
Of course, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to get your daily dose of cottage inspiration!